Update from Arnie Marsman, Director of Building Services/Chief Building Official as of 4:00 pm, April 7, 2020.
Further to my email of March 17, 2020, this message is being sent to advise you of the status of building permit activity within Middlesex Centre and Lucan Biddulph.
The municipal office has been closed since March 18th. To reach a building official, please use the messaging system in Evolve for open permits, or via email to one of our staff (via the staff directory on our website (https://middlesexcentre.on.ca/staff) or to building division’s email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Provincial Response to COVID-19 - Ontario Regulation 82-20
Amendments to this regulation were passed and have come into effect as of midnight April 4th. Based on the following sections of this regulation, which you can view here… amendments to Reg 82-20, construction activity may only continue for the following sites:
1. Construction projects and services associated with the healthcare sector, including new facilities, expansions, renovations and conversion of spaces that could be repurposed for health care space.
2. Construction projects and services required to ensure safe and reliable operations of, or to provide new capacity in, critical provincial infrastructure, including transit, transportation, energy and justice sectors beyond the day-to-day maintenance.
3. Critical industrial construction activities required for,
i. the maintenance and operations of petrochemical plants and refineries,
ii. significant industrial petrochemical projects where preliminary work has already commenced,
iii. industrial construction and modifications to existing industrial structures limited solely to work necessary for the production, maintenance, and/or enhancement of Personal Protective Equipment, medical devices (such as ventilators), and other identified products directly related to combatting the Covid-19 pandemic.
4. Residential construction projects where,
i. a footing permit has been granted for single family, semi-detached and townhomes,
ii. an above grade structural permit has been granted for condominiums, mixed use and other buildings, or
iii. the project involves renovations to residential properties and construction work was started before April 4, 2020.
5. Sewage systems
6. Construction supporting Agricultural uses
No additional building permits will be issued for projects that do not meet the qualifications noted above. All other construction occurring under current permits which would not qualify as noted above must cease.
We will continue with inspections for permits outlined above including residential sites which have permits that are issued. Please continue to use the ‘Work’ tab in Evolve to request inspections. If this is not possible, please email building division at email@example.com
Although permits will not be issued for ‘non-qualifying’ projects, we will continue to receive and review applications via the Evolve application site. Applications currently being reviewed and those submitted will be reviewed and readied for issuance so that permits may be issued as quickly as possible once the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted. Currently only applications made via www.Evolvepermit.ca are being accepted. Paper applications will not be reviewed.
Job Site Person to Person Distancing
Thank you for working with us recently by having job sites vacant of others while we do our inspections. The health and safety of our staff, your staff and trades is our priority. We appreciate the distancing being observed on job sites.
March 17, 2020, Message
Dear Home Builder/Developer,
The following email is to update you on building division’s activities in response to the COVID-19 virus, as of Tuesday, March 17th.
At this time, all municipal facilities including the municipal office in Coldstream are closed to the public. Although the office is closed, building division will be continuing to operate, as close to usual as possible...as described below:
- Given that our building permitting system in 'Evolve' is entirely electronic, builders are able to continue to submit building permit applications, and we are able to review these applications electronically.
- Staff will continue to conduct administrative work and plans review in the mornings each day.
- As you've been accustomed to, inspections will continue to be provided in the afternoons Monday through Friday.
In order to assist us with conducing our business in these difficult times, we ask the following of you:
- Please minimize the number of workers on the job site which we'll be attending. Building inspections are currently available during the COVID-19 threat only because very little interaction with others is necessary. Staff have been advised that they are to leave a job site if reasonable separation to other workers is not possible. This will be at staff's discretion. If we leave a job site for this reason, we will not return that day.
- As most of you know, Middlesex Centre's and Lucan Biddulph's Building Permitting system is found at www.evolvepermit.ca Please use Evolve to it's fullest potential in the following ways:
- Submitting applications. Currently, we cannot accept paper applications. Electronic applications will be processed within the required timelines.
- Please request inspections using Evolve. More recent applications have inspection requests built into the system, while older permits in Evolve will require you to create the inspection. Feel free to contact staff if you need assistance.
- Please book inspections for your trades. Often plumbers call inspections in. Please assist us by requesting these inspections via Evolve for your trades.
- Please use Evolve's messaging system if you have a question or comment of a specific active permit.
- We are currently looking into accepting electronic payment for building permits. More information will be provided once this is confirmed. Given that our office is closed, payments may be made by dropping cheques off at the municipal office mail slot.
- If you need to reach staff please use email rather than by phone. Staff emails are available on our website.
- Inspections will be conducted only in the afternoon. Please inform your trades of this.
- If inspection requests cannot be made via Evolve, please use the building division email, firstname.lastname@example.org, in place of calling the inspection in. This email is the best way to book inspections outside of using Evolve.
Kilworth Heights West Builders
As we are approaching occupancy in this development, please ensure that adequate time is allowed for the following so that occupancy permits can be issued without delay:
- Water meters - please contact Arnie Marsman for updates
- Final plumbing inspections are completed, and
- Occupancy inspections/walk through are completed
We will provide further updates as they become available.