last updated January 21, 2021.
We've pulled together some resources to help local businesses and farms through this period. You can find these below.
We'll continue to update and add new resources as they become available.
Looking for general information about Middlesex Centre's response to COVID-19? See our COVID-19 information page.
COVID-19 Province-wide Shutdown / State of Emergency
The Province of Ontario announced a province-wide shutdown starting December 26, 2020 for a period of 28 days. On January 12, 2021, the Province enacted a state of emergency and issued stay-at-home orders.
- If you have questions about what will be open or impacts to your business or employment, call the Stop the Spread Business Information Line at 1-888-444-3659.
- The Province has updated the list of supports available to businesses and workers during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Please see the Guidance and Direction from the Province summary, which includes a list of limitations by business sector.
Masks and Face Coverings
As of July 18, 2020, the Middlesex-London Health Unit is requiring masks be worn in all indoor spaces that are publicly accessible. On July 22, 2020, Middlesex Centre Council passed a supporting by-law. For more information on what that means for your business, please see:
- Middlesex Centre requirements that masks or face coverings be worn in all indoor spaces that are publicly accessible.
- "Stage 3 - Instructions to Business Owners" (letter on health unit website)
Getting Back on your Feet:
Supports for Local Businesses Post COVID-19
June 29, 2020
In June, we pulled together business experts to share information on some of the programs, funding and other supports available to local businesses.
If you missed the webinar, you can view it on the Middlesex Centre YouTube channel.
How can residents help local businesses and farms at this time?
One of the biggest supports we can offer our local farms & businesses is our business.
Order take-out, buy a gift card for future use, or shop/use their services (if open). Be sure to call or visit their Facebook page or website before you head out to see if they are accepting in-person shoppers at this time.
- Ilderton and Area Business Association Facebook Page
- Komoka-Kilworth Business Association Facebook Page
- Supports for Local Businesses
Local Resource & Support Guide
Middlesex Centre Economic Development ("Invest in Middlesex") has developed a resource guide to help businesses navigate the many supports available to them and their employees.
Regional Resources for Businesses & Farms
Community Futures Middlesex (The Business Help Centre (CFDC) of Middlesex County) is accepting applications from rural small and medium enterprises negatively impacted by COVID-19 to access up to $40K in support under the Regional Relief and Recovery Fund (RRRF). Full details and tools to assist you with completion of your application are available for download on their website.
The South Central Ontario Region Economic Development Corporation - SCOR - has compiled a lengthy list of resources for businesses and farms (presented in Google Docs).
Provincial Support for Businesses
The Province of Ontario is offering a number of supports for businesses.
Federal Support for Businesses
The Government of Canada is also offering a number of supports for businesses and industries.
Local Business Surveys
In an effort to monitor the progression of COVID-19 on local businesses, Middlesex County Economic Development is seeking your assistance in providing high level reporting so that they can advocate on your behalf with all levels of government. Survey links and results will be shared here as they become available.
Please see documents from Invest Middlesex and SCOR for complete listings of support. The following are new and/or additional initiatives you may want to explore.
Ontario Together Fund - supporting the development of essential equipment and supplies
- Supports for the Farming Community
In addition to the resources for business above, please also see:
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada - Information for Industry (includes information on labour/temporary foreign workers in agricultural industries
- Farm Credit Canada
- CFA Resources on COVID-19
- Agri-Food Open for E-Business Initiative (Federal/Provincial Partnership)
- OFA Information and resources on COVID-19 pandemic
- OFA Free Resources to Support Farm Businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic
- OFA Guide to Operating your Essential Farm Building During COVID-19
- South Central Ontario Region Economic Development Corporation, SCOR - list of resources for businesses and farms (presented in Google Docs)
- Supports for Arts, Culture & Sports
The Federal Government is has created an Emergency Fund in support of Cultural, Heritage and Sports Organizations
- Supports for Tourism & Hospitality Workers
Are you a Tourism & Hospitality Worker? Are you out of work or working less due to COVID-19?
Help is available through the Tourism & Hospitality Emergency Response. Visit TourismHospitalityWorkers.ca for information on training, employment supports, and relief programs. You can also register for the Tourism & Hospitality Workers’ Registry to receive information about job opportunities, safe return to work, and regional and virtual employment services.
This initiative is led by OTEC and funded by the Government of Canada’s Future Skills Centre and the Government of Ontario.
- Municipal Financial Relief Measures for Local Businesses
Middlesex Centre Council and staff understand that some residents and local businesses may be experiencing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
At their emergency meeting on March 30, 2020, Middlesex Centre Council approved a number of financial measures were put in place to help those most in need of support. Most of these measures have now expired.
- If you require a special payment arrangement due to financial hardship as a result of COVID-19, contact the municipal office.
Staff will continue to monitor the different support programs coming from all levels of government, and will recommend adjustments and/or additional financial relief measures as the situation warrants.
- Questions about Reopening and Workplace Safety
The Province of Ontario has created a number of resources to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in various workplaces. This includes sector-specific guidance notes and posters.
The Middlesex-London Health Unit also has a number of guidance documents available for workplaces and community settings.
The Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters have made available extensive resources for the manufacturing sector.
Middlesex Centre Public Works and Engineering Department is reminding businesses that have been closed for a prolonged period of time that special steps may be needed to safely reopen buildings with respect to water. Similarly, Middlesex Centre Fire Services has put together safety considerations for reopening your business.
- Keeping Well
This is a stressful time for farmers, business owners, and employees. There are a number of stress and mental health resources available to help:
Mental Health Resources (211Ontario)
Mental Health Resources (ConnexOntario)
Information is subject to change. Updates will be made as they become available.