Setting Priorities for Municipal Services, Programs and Infrastructure
The municipal budget is a key policy and planning document that outlines our municipality’s priorities for services, programs and infrastructure. Setting the budget is a balancing act between often competing priorities – providing the high level of services that residents deserve and respect versus what we can afford.
Each year, municipal staff put forward a draft preliminary budget for comment. There are two parts – the operations budget that covers the day-to-day services of the municipality, and the capital budget that covers large infrastructure and other long-term projects. The Mayor and Council, with input from Middlesex Centre residents and businesses, make choices about what municipal services, programs and infrastructure projects should be included in the budget.
Budget Road Map
The “budget road map” is the annual route we follow as we move towards an approved budget for Middlesex Centre. We hope you’ll join us on this journey, and provide your thoughts on the development of Budget 2021!
About the 2021 Budget
In a usual budget year, our staff would hold public meetings to share information about the budget and how it is created. However, 2020 is anything but a typical year. Since we can't host meetings in the traditional fashion due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Middlesex Centre staff recorded a series of short videos on budget basics.
Budget Basics - A Balancing Act
Budget Basics - Capital Budget and Asset Management
Budget Basics - Property Taxes
Budget Basics - Where your Tax Dollars Go: General Governance
Budget Basics - Where your Tax Dollars Go: Community Services
Budget Basics - Where your Tax Dollars Go: Fire Services
Budget Basics - Where your Tax Dollars Go: Roads
Budget Basics - Water, Wastewater and Stormwater
While not part of your property taxes, water and wastewater fees are something we often hear about at budget time. Watch this short video to learn a bit more on how your water rates ensure clean drinking water and a healthy environment.
We want to hear from you!
- Thank you to everyone that took the time to complete our "Looking Ahead" survey, which looked to capture your thoughts on the Strategic Plan, Official Plan Review and the 2021 Budget. The survey ran from July 13 to August 24, 2020. The results from the budget survey questions can be found below under "Documents and Resources." The questions about the strategic plan can be found on the strategic plan page.
- If you missed the survey, you are welcome to email your thoughts on the budget.
Documents and Resources
Additional documents will be added as they become available.
- General Information on Municipal Budget
- MPAC - Property Assessment Information
- A Primer on Reserves and Reserve Funds
- Budget Survey Results
- 2021 Budget
- 2020 Budget Information