Development charges provide for the recovery of growth-related capital expenditures from new development.
The current Development Charges By-law provides for the growth-related capital cost recovery for six service components: public works operations, roads, protection, library, major studies, and parks and recreation. It also provides an area-specific charge for water and wastewater.
For current residential and non-residential development charge rates, please refer to the Development Charges Brochure.
Development Charges Act, 1997
The new Development Charges Act, along with regulation O.Reg. 82/98, provides authority that is more restrictive for municipalities to impose charges for development. The new Development Charges Act:
- Limits the amount of capital costs to be included in calculating development charges by excluding certain services and by restricting others to only 90% recovery of the capital cost
- Imposes a quality and quantity standard for municipalities to ensure that capital projects do not exceed historic municipal expenditures and service levels
- Legislates certain exemptions from development charges (for example, 50% industrial expansion exemption)
Middlesex Centre's Development Charges
The Municipality's current Development Charges By-law (No. 2019-073) will expire on July 27, 2024. Prior to Council approval of a new by-law, a background study must be completed in accordance with the provisions of the Development Charges Act.
Development Charges Background Study
Council passed the Middlesex Centre's current Development Charges By-law No. 2019-073 on July 17, 2019. These by-laws impose residential development charges (calculated on the number and type of units and number of bedrooms where applicable) and non-residential development charges (calculated per square metre of total floor area of the building) on all lands within the boundaries of the Municipality.
Development charges applicable to residential and non-residential development are calculated, payable and collected as of the date a building permit is issued.
- 2019 Treasurer's Statement - Development Charges and Appendix to Development Charges, 2019
- 2018 Treasurer's Statement - Development Charges