Animal Services

Adorable Middlesex Centre dog with dog tag

Middlesex Centre offers services related to animal care and control


Dog Licencing

Licencing your dog could play a critical role in identifying your dog should it become lost or injured.

  • All dogs in the municipality must have a valid licence, and wear their dog tag.
  • The municipality issues a dog tag for the lifetime of your dog at no charge.

New dog to Middlesex Centre

  • Puppies and dogs moving to Middlesex Centre must get a dog licence (“dog tag”). 
  • Each dog must have its own, unique, dog tag. Dog tags cannot be passed from one dog to another.
  • To apply for a dog tag, complete the online dog tag application form. (If you would prefer to print the form and submit it to the municipal office by email or in person, you can find a pdf version of the form at the bottom of this page.)
  • There is no charge for the dog tag.

Dog Tag Application Form 


Changes – Moving and Death of a Pet

  • Should you move within Middlesex Centre, please email the office so that we may update your dog’s address and contact information.
  • Should your dog pass away, please email the office so that we may update our records.

Lost Tag

  • If your dog loses its dog tag, please complete the online dog tag application form, indicating that your pet requires a replacement tag. (If you would prefer to print the form and submit it to the municipal office by email or in person, you can find a pdf version of the form at the bottom of this page.)
  • Replacement tags are $10 each. 


What if I don’t get a dog licence?

  • Dog licences are free-of-charge to residents, and wearing a dog tag helps make sure we can get your pet back to you if it is lost or injured. 
  • Dogs in Middlesex Centre are required to be licensed, and not licensing your dog can lead to fines and penalties.


Dog & Animal “Rules” in Middlesex Centre

The Animal Control By-law lays out a number of rules related to keeping dogs and other animals in Middlesex Centre. The following are a few of the common questions about the animal control by-law. This list does not in any way replace the content of the by-law.

  • Do I have to get a dog licence (dog tag)?  Yes. All dogs in Middlesex Centre must be licenced and wear their dog tag. You have 14 days to register your new (or new to Middlesex Centre) dog.
  • Do dog tags expire? No. Tags are issued for the lifetime of your dog.
  • Can I let my dog “off leash”? No. Dogs are not allowed to run-at-large. The only exception is at designated dog off leash areas (parks).
  • How many dogs can I have? Each dwelling unit is allowed to have no more than three dogs.
  • What about dog kennels? There are quite a number of rules related to keeping a dog kennel.  Please see the full by-law for details.
  • What about pit bulls? Pit bulls are considered vicious dogs, and special rules apply. Please see the full by-law for details.
  • Can I have an exotic pet? No. Please see the full by-law for details.
  • Can I keep backyard chickens or other livestock on my property? Backyard chickens are not permitted in villages, hamlets, or urban areas. Chickens and other livestock are only permitted on specific agricultural zoned properties. If you have any questions about your property's zoning, please contact the municipal office.


Kennel Licencing

  • Any resident wishing to operate a dog kennel or boarding facility must obtain a Kennel Licence.
  • The property must be properly zoned to accommodate a kennel or boarding facility.
  • Kennels and boarding facilities will be inspected on a bi-annual basis.
  • If you wish to establish a dog kennel or boarding facility, please contact the municipal office to discuss the location and requirements.

Kennel License Application Form 


Animal Care & Control Services

Lost or Stray Dogs and Cats

Middlesex Centre has partnered with Hillside Kennels Animal Control to provide animal care and control services.

Middlesex Centre's animal control by-law prohibits cats and dogs from running at large. It also allows for cats and dogs to be impounded if they are found to be running at large.

Contact Hillside Kennels Animal Control if you:

  • Encounter a cat or dog running at large.
  • Wish to inquire about a lost cat or dog.

Hillside Kennels Animal Control
786007 Township Rd 6, Innerkip, ON, N0J 1M0
Phone: 519-469-3247

Animal Distress or Abuse

The Province of Ontario has established a toll-free number, 1-833-9-ANIMAL (264625) for people to report concerns about animal distress or abuse. This call centre is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 

The Provincial Animal Welfare Services (PAWS) Act sets out regulations around animal cruelty. Under the PAWS Act there are basic standards of care for all animals. The Act also sets specific standards of care for dogs that are kept outdoors.    

Note that a full review of the animal control by-law is planned to reflect changes in provincial legislation and to make locally-relevant changes as directed by council. 


Livestock Claims

The Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program provides financial assistance to farmers whose livestock, poultry and honey bees have been damaged by wildlife. 

Middlesex Centre's Livestock Valuator will come to your property to assess the loss/damage. Then a report is submitted to Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food, and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA).

The Livestock Valuator for the Municipality of Middlesex Centre is Evan Donley, who can be reached at 519-670-9152.


For Questions Contact: