Municipalities are required to update their Official Plan at least every five years, in accordance with Section 26 of the Planning Act.
Your insights and input will help inform and shape the new Plan.
What is an Official Plan?
An Official Plan is a legal document containing goals, objectives and policies to guide land use, development and growth in a municipality.
The Official Plan guides and directs changes to the physical nature of the municipality. The plan has a large impact our social, economic, cultural and natural environment, as it sets out:
- where we'll put new housing, industry, offices, commercial shopping areas, etc., and what those developments might look like (housing density, for example)
- where roads and traffic will go
- where services and amenities like schools, recreation centres, and parks are needed, and where they should be located
- how we'll protect areas for agriculture, green space, etc., and
- other considerations for municipal growth and development
Why are we reviewing the Official Plan?
We review our Official Plan to ensure that it conforms with the latest provincial policies and the County of Middlesex Official Plan. The review will consider planning studies and reports completed by the municipality and county since the current Official Plan was approved.
Get Involved - Have your Say!
There will be many opportunities for members of the public to share their thoughts on the Official Plan Review. Below you'll find information on how you can get involved now, and what opportunities will be coming forward throughout the year (timeline chart):
- Survey - Thank you to everyone that took the time to complete our "Looking Ahead" survey, which looked to capture your thoughts on the Strategic Plan, Official Plan Review and the 2021 Budget. The survey ran from July 13 to August 24, 2020, and the results are posted on the Strategic Plan webpage. If you missed the survey, you are welcome to email your thoughts on the Official Plan review.
- Special Meeting of Council - On August 12, 2020, Middlesex Centre Council held a special meeting to discuss possible revisions to the Official Plan. Members of the public were welcome and encouraged to provide written comment or speak at the meeting. This is the first meeting of the Official Plan Review process.
- Stakeholder Advisory Committee - The Stakeholder Advisory Committee (SAC) is a group of 12 to 15 representatives with various voices and interests within the Municipality. This includes residents, community group members, youth representatives, land owners, business owners and other interested stakeholders. The SAC provides a sounding board for the Project Team and provide insights into key issues and draft policy.
- Vision Workshop - On October 6, 2020, we held a meeting with members of the public as we begin to set the vision for our updated Official Plan. Details from this meeting can be found in the background report attached below.
Timeline for PUblic involvement
|Project Phase||Timing||Ways to Get Involved|
|Phase 1: Project Initiation||Summer 2020||
|Phase 2: Background Reports and Studies||Summer 2020 – Winter 2020||
|Phase 3: Directions and Recommendations Report||Winter 2020 – Summer 2021||
|Phase 4: Official Plan Amendment(s)||Summer 2021||
- Middlesex Centre Official Plan (current)
- County Official Plan (County of Middlesex)
- Provincial Policy Statement (Government of Ontario)
- Planning Act (Government of Ontario)
- Citizen's Guide to Land Use Planning - Official Plans (Government of Ontario)
For More Information
Please contact our Planning Services team with any questions or comments.